Director, Instructional Design
for Penn Foster in Albany, NY USA
The Director, Instructional Design will lead the instructional design organization, staff, and processes, managing the delivery and production of education content. In this role, the ideal candidate will refine, develop, and implement instructional design models and educational frameworks, acting as the in-house instructional design expert.
The ideal candidate will provide leadership and direction on the use of instructional technology, content authoring tools, third-party products, including textbooks and e-book, and other courseware features to innovate content design and delivery. The Director, Instructional Design is an independent leader with the flexibility and willingness to perform as a cross-functional leader and individual contributor as the need arises, guiding the team to execute on company goals. The ideal candidate will have a strong foundation in instructional design, adult learning principles, and web content accessibility guidelines.
Essential Job Functions
- Drive a culture of continuous improvement and innovation by staying up-to-date on instructional design best practices. <w:sdtpr></w:sdtpr>
- Ensure learning objectives are well-written and measurable and that courseware, including content and assessment, is tied to both program- and course-level outcomes and objectives. Ensure all assessments are tied to course objectives and test to appropriate levels of Bloom?s taxonomy.
- Manage accreditation needs as they relate to courseware design and delivery.
- Collaborate with the Director, Curriculum and Content Management to prepare for and conduct accreditation and licensing visits, reviews, and meetings.
- Maintain accreditation documentation, including the course development manual and contact and credit hour policy.
- Revise the contact and credit hour policy based on increasingly digital learning experience and maintain CEUs and compliance with IACET standards as they relate to academic content and development.
- Own courseware accessibility best practices, leading the effort to create, implement, update, and enforce guidelines to ensure WCAG 2.1, ADA, and Section 508 compliance.
- Lead and direct day-to-day operations of the Instructional Design Managers, instructional design staff, Managing Editor, and editorial staff.
- Create and maintain all house style guides, checklists, accreditation documents, author guidelines, and training documentation. Ensure implementation across the internal staff and external teams. Maintain and continuously improve upon instructional design templates and guidelines.
- Manage quality of and report on work for the instructional design and editorial teams.
- Maintain relationships with external vendors and contractors, including authors, subject-matter experts, instructional designers, copyeditors, and others.
- Support the Curriculum and Content Management team, including the Production Manager, on project scheduling and capacity planning.
- Drive innovation of Penn Foster courseware and assessment by identifying instructional technology, tools, features, and functions to enhance courseware to improve student outcomes and engagement.
- Manage successful development of new instructional content and revisions of existing instructional content, working with the Director, Curriculum and Content Management to ensure ongoing quality control of live programs.
- With Managing Editor, direct process of working with Inventory and Purchasing on book availability and cost of goods sold to avoid student backorders and significant cost increases.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
Education: <w:sdt docpart="7E0B5633EC634C528881B019BAE56BEC" id="202451790">Bachelor?s Degree in Instructional Design, Instructional Technology, Education, or relevant field required. Graduate work in Instructional Design, Instructional Technology, or Education strongly preferred.</w:sdt>
Experience: <w:sdt docpart="7E0B5633EC634C528881B019BAE56BEC" id="-1853639591">7+ years? experience leading a Courseware Development or Instructional Design organization. Experience with web content accessibility guidelines and adult and nontraditional learners required. Classroom or online teaching a plus.</w:sdt>
Computer Skills: <w:sdt docpart="7E0B5633EC634C528881B019BAE56BEC" id="1131294979"><w:sdt docpart="585864D9D769404CB629F476E206B524" id="294339029">Proficiency with an array of content authoring tools and learning management systems required. Knowledge of Articulate 360 required. Experience with Desire to Learn Brightspace LMS strongly preferred. Experience with Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office, and business communication and project management software.</w:sdt></w:sdt>
Certificates & Licenses: <w:sdt docpart="7E0B5633EC634C528881B019BAE56BEC" id="964620699">None.</w:sdt>
- Excellent attention to detail.<w:sdtpr></w:sdtpr>
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to lead cross-functional initiatives.
- Ability to learn and adapt quickly.
- Ability to work in a dynamic, fast-paced, team-based environment.
- Forward-thinking, innovative approach to courseware design and delivery.
- Ability to develop and implement instructional design processes at scale.
- Strong business fundamental knowledge.
- Strong understanding of learning theory and educational frameworks, including Bloom?s taxonomy, Universal Design for Learning, and Adult Learning Theory.
- Strong knowledge of instructional design models, particularly the ADDIE model.
At Penn Foster, we are dedicated to helping over 250,000 students each year achieve their goals through affordable, accessible, career-focused learning. Our mission has remained the same since 1890: to enhance the lives of our students and clients through the acquisition of skills and credentials that can help them work toward their career and life goals. Backed by Bain Capital Double Impact and together with our extensive partner network of leading employers, community-based organizations, and academic institutions, we close skills gaps and are building a workforce that?s prepared for the future job market. We aim to help businesses thrive by mobilizing their individual workers and energizing communities with opportunities for growth and progress. We are proud to play a role in the success of over 80% percent of our graduates that see improvement within their careers, as they inspire us to keep finding new ways to further our reach and broaden horizons. Join the Penn Foster movement and start working toward a better future today.
What We Offer:
We offer a competitive base salary, plus a robust benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, flexible spending, generous paid time off, paid charity days, parking & commuter benefits, a 401K with a company match, plus free access to all of our online programs.
Powered by JazzHR
Job Category: Other / Miscellaneous
Location: Albany, NY USA
Zip Code: 12233
Posted on: 01/17/2020
Viewed: 0 times