Field Operations Intern - Spring 2020
for Spirit of America in Arlington, VA USA
Spirit of America seeks an exceptional individual with international affairs experience (academic or in the field) to serve as an intern in support ongoing projects worldwide. The field operations intern will work in close cooperation with regional managers and headquarters staff. They will be responsible for providing administrative project support, coordinating crucial activities, and ensuring key tasks are scheduled, prioritized, and completed. While the intern will support projects across the globe, they will be encouraged to focus on and cultivate a regional interest while also supporting other teams within the office (development, finance, human resources, etc).
The successful candidate will possess a deep interest and passion for a particular region (i.e. Middle East, Sub-Saharan Africa, Southeast Asia, Latin America, etc.), a results-oriented work ethic, a willingness to learn and try new things and fail, and a wicked sense of humor. By the time his/her tenure is complete, the intern will have developed a broader understanding of their focus region and a more granular appreciation of its people and culture. Proficiency in a second language is a plus.
The field operations intern will be based out of the Arlington, VA office where they will support Spirit of America projects overseas. The start date for this position is January 6, 2020. A minimum 3-month commitment is required; extensions are possible.
The Field Operations Intern will:
- Work closely with field operations staff in support of ongoing projects and initiatives;
- Help administer projects supported with Spirit of America funds;
- Support field staff activities including processing procurements, planning events, communicating with vendors, maintaining administrative records, and coordinating travel;
- Help manage multimedia content and provide input into messaging and social media efforts.
- Conduct regional research with a focus on drivers of instability, demographics, religious extremism, and geopolitical disputes;
- Help plan and coordinate internal field team activities, including update calls, outings, team-building exercises, etc.
Experience and Qualifications
SoA's Field Operations Intern will have:
- Experience 1) studying or working on the ground in pre-conflict, conflict, or post-conflict environments; and 2) living abroad and engaging directly with local populations and issues;
- A basic understanding of America?s 3Ds of foreign affairs ? defense, diplomacy, and development;
- At least three years of undergraduate education; BA/BS degree is preferred. Foreign travel (study abroad, NGO work, USG experience) is strongly preferred;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, a strong attention to detail, and excellent organizational skills are required.
The field operations intern must instinctively look beyond his/her own expertise to solve problems, asking "who knows more about this than me" and listening patiently to understand the issues as others perceive them.
The field operations intern's personal qualities are as important as their prior experience. They must be a friendly, outgoing, natural relationship builder who exhibits exemplary patience and outstanding listening skills;
They must understand that personal initiative, optimism, and a good sense of humor are "secret weapons" that must be employed in abundance;
They must combine a keen intellect with genuine humility and understand that "we" is smarter than "me." "Know-it-alls" need not apply.
Spirit of America
Spirit of America is a non-profit organization: a 501c3 public charity. Our mission is to support the safety and success of US troops and diplomats and the local people and partners they seek to help. Since being founded in 2003, we have provided millions in targeted assistance to help US troops and diplomats assist vulnerable local people in over 50 countries across Africa, the Middle East, Central and South Asia, Latin America, and Eastern Europe. We've established a groundbreaking model for partnership of a nonprofit organization with the US military. Our support is fast, flexible and decentralized. It makes our troops and diplomats safer and more successful. It helps them improve security and stability, build goodwill, and increase the wellbeing of those most at risk of extremism and conflict. And, our support helps local people help themselves.
Interested candidates: please take the time to understand Spirit of America and this position before applying. Relevant experience, skills, and expertise should be clearly articulated in an applicants rsum and cover letter.
Please direct all questions and inquiries to email@example.com.
Job Category: Other / Miscellaneous
Location: Arlington, VA USA
Zip Code: 22201
Posted on: 12/02/2019
Viewed: 0 times