Glazing Generalist - Second Shift
for Heath Ceramics in Sausalito, CA USA
What began as a small-scale pottery in 1948 has evolved into a collection of businesses anchored in designing and making. Led by husband and wife, Robin Petravic & Cathy Bailey, we are shaping the relationship we have to the things we own, and the way we come to own them. Across two factories, four showrooms, two clay studios, a warehouse, website, newsstand, and sewing studio, all in California, we?re a diverse team of about 225 employees, on a mission: to create products of beauty and integrity, while designing, manufacturing, and running our business in a way that?s better for society and our planet. Learn more at heathceramics.com.
About the Position
Since 1948, we?ve been handcrafting ceramic tableware that is both beautiful to look at and satisfying to hold. Households, museums, and designers worldwide admire our limited-production cups, plates, bowls, and serving pieces, for their simple, timeless beauty and functional everyday use.
The Glazing Generalist is responsible for applying glaze to all dinnerware pieces in preparation for firing.
Essential Role Functions
- Glazing: spraying simple flat shapes and bowls
- Centering pieces on a rotating spindle
- Spray gun operation
- Mixing glazes and understanding their rheological properties including viscosity and specific gravity
- Respirator certification (online course), use of eye protection, safe use of compressed air.
- Ability to adjust basic rheological properties including viscosity and specific gravity
- Develop pouring and dipping skills, depending on business needs
- Control and operate glaze booth and associated equipment with little or no supervision
- Ability and willingness to learn new glaze systems as per business needs
Glazing Generalists, Glazing Process Technician, Glazing Lead, Dinnerware Production Supervisor
- Work consistently and precisely
- Apply glaze uniformly and in the right amount
- Follow production glaze lists and record all production accurately
- Desire to work in a plant environment and to be ?hands on?
- Great people skills: must be patient, flexible, and calm
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to enhance a team
- Ability to follow strict safety guidelines
- Ability to follow instructions accurately and in a timely manner
Physical Requirements (medium to heavy)
- Pulling and pushing carts
- Standing for 90% of the day
- Other activities, including climbing, balancing, kneeling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, repetitive motion, grasping, and feeling
Visual Acuity Requirements (including color, depth perception, and field vision)
The worker is required to have close visual acuity to perform activities such as: preparing and inspecting materials; visual inspection involving small defects, small objects, and/or operation of machines (including inspection); using measurement devices, and visual checks of materials and machinery. The worker will also need visual acuity to determine the accuracy, neatness, and thoroughness of the work assigned.
An ideal candidate has very good attention to detail, works efficiently and is always mindful of quality. MUST follow safety procedures. Must have a positive attitude and foster a team environment. MUST be willing to learn from experienced personnel during a thorough training period. Good communication skills are required.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Ability to be a self starter
- Demonstrated ability to follow verbal and written instructions in English consistently and accurately
- Demonstrated ability to be reliable and punctual
- Demonstrated ability to enhance a team
- Proven safety record and respect for safety rules
- Demonstrated pursuit of quality, improvement and pride in craftsmanship
- Demonstrated work ethic and respect for the job
- Willingness to be flexible and accept instruction from team members
- Previous glazing experience is a plus
Location and Schedule
400 Gate Five Road - Sausalito, CA 94965
- 40 regularly scheduled hours per week, Monday-Friday
- Overtime may be available and required
- Second shift: 2:30pm-10:45pm, Monday-Friday
We are committed to your health and well-being. Heath offers a comprehensive benefit package that includes a choice of medical plan, dental, vision and life and works very hard to keep employee costs low for excellent coverage. We do not require an employee contribution for individual premiums, and we pick up a large portion of the costs for dependent coverage. A generous 401k match starts immediately. Our Employee Stock Ownership Plan provides an additional retirement benefit linked to the long term performance of our company. We offer a generous time off allocation, paid family leave, and of course a healthy discount on all Heath products.
Hourly based on Union Wage Scale
If you would like to be considered for this position, please send a detailed resume and a brief cover letter that speaks directly to the position.
Heath Ceramics is an equal opportunity employer. Thank you for your interest!
Job Category: Other / Miscellaneous
Location: Sausalito, CA USA
Zip Code: 94965
Posted on: 12/02/2019
Viewed: 0 times