for CAMBA in East Elmhurst, NY USA
Who We Are: CAMBA is a community of staff, volunteers, clients, donors, neighbors and partners who work together to build an inclusive New York City, where all children and adults have access to the resources and supports they need to thrive. We take a comprehensive approach by offering more than 160 integrated programs in: Education & Youth Development, Family Support, Job Training & Employment Support Services, Health, Housing, and Legal Services. We reach more than 65,000 individuals and families each year at our 90 locations, including 10,000 youth. CAMBA serves a diverse cross section of New Yorkers from new mothers in Brownsville to job seekers in the Rockaways. More than half of our clients are immigrants and refugees from around the globe. Over 85% of our families are in living in poverty, reflecting the challenges faced by nearly 1.7 million New Yorkers today.
CAMBA's The Landing Family Shelter is funded by New York City Department of Homeless Services and offers families a supportive, structured therapeutic, safe, and drug-free facility. It provides comprehensive case management services to 169 families who are in a transitional residence program for homeless families. The three story facility has rooms of various sizes, common areas and provides on-site security and social services.
Position: Housing Specialist
Reports To: Assistant Program Manager
Location: 9400 Ditmars Boulevard, Queens, NY 11369?
What The Housing Specialist Does:
- Establish and maintain professional relationships with clients' and client confidentiality in order to engage them in case management services.
- Develop curriculum to address shelter residents' Housing, Independent Living Skills and Entitlement related needs including, permanent housing search process and options.
- Develop a series of monthly Housing readiness workshops.
- Develop and maintain a Bulletin Board that serves to provide relevant Housing related information
- Provide individualized and group counseling on housing and entitlement related topics.
- Organize and schedule presentations by local "housing experts" and/or landlords.
- Establishing linkages with community-based organizations, realtors, brokers and landlords.
- In collaboration with the case manager(s), work with clients to break through barriers to client goals and to assist clients in advocating for themselves and in moving toward self-sufficiency.
- Assist case managers to schedule appointments for client with referral organizations.
- Assist case managers to **** clients to appointments (apartment viewings, public benefits, educational, medical, social service, etc.).
- Assist clients in completing applications for benefits and entitlements, and may process applications on clients' behalf.
Minimum Education/Experience Required:
- High school diploma or G.E.D and two years of applicable experience and/or equivalent experience.
- Must obtain State Central Registry (SCR) clearance, The Register of Substantiated Category One Cases of Abuse or Neglect aka Staff Exclusion List (SEL) clearance and Criminal history information checks via fingerprinting with New York State Division of Criminal Justice Services prior to start of employment.
- Ability to maintain clearances throughout the duration of employment.
CAMBA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value a diverse workforce and inclusive workplace. People of color, people with disabilities, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people are encouraged to apply. We consider all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, disability, socio-economic status, marital or veteran status, pregnancy status or sexual orientation.??
Powered by JazzHR
Job Category: Other / Miscellaneous
Location: East Elmhurst, NY USA
Zip Code: 11369
Posted on: 01/03/2020
Viewed: 0 times