Lead Instructor (New York / Jersey City), 2020 Summer Intensive Program
for All Star Code in New York, NJ USA
Who we are
All Star Code is a non profit computer science education organization serving Black and Latino young men. Few organizations prepare this underserved group for careers in the innovation economy. Our ultimate goal is to close the wealth, income, and opportunity gaps. Our mission is to create economic opportunity by developing a new generation of boys and young men of color with an entrepreneurial mindset who have the tools they need to succeed in a technological world. Our vision: All Star Code envisions a country where all young men of color have access to the tools of success, and where the ability to thrive is available to all who are willing to dare greatly.<hr />
2020 Summer Intensive, Lead Instructor (NY/NJ)
All Star Code is seeking experienced, enthusiastic, and engaging lead instructors for our flagship Summer Intensive Program. Our 6-week Summer Intensive Program (July 6 - Aug 14) offers a uniquely transformative experience for our students and instructional staff, where instruction happens across pop-up classrooms hosted at the world's top tech companies. Our curriculum is designed to inspire, educate, and equip high school young men of color with the skills, entrepreneurial mindset, and networks to pursue academics and careers in a technological world. Lead Instructors are responsible for delivering ASC's curriculum to a class of 20 high school students, while also managing the site's instructional team. Lead instructors typically have a Bachelor's Degree or higher in Computer Science or comparable experience.
- Candidates must have a BA or BS in computer science, a related STEM field, or Education; or equivalent work experience and technical proficiency may be acceptable in lieu of a CS degree
- Candidates must commit to a full six week summer program schedule from June to August; must be able to commute within or to one of the following markets: New York City, Jersey City
- Candidate must commit to a one week instructional training (known as Professional Development Week) prior to the program's start date. Instructors are paid for completing the one-week instructional training.
- Candidates must have the ability to engage with a variety of program stakeholders from corporate partners, funders / VIPs, press/media, parents, community leaders, and/or technology executives
- Candidates must demonstrate poise, professionalism and exceptional communication skills. It is critically important that instructors model timeliness and dependability in attendance throughout the program, including teacher training sessions prior to program start, during the program, and post-program reporting requirements
- Candidates must have the ability to adapt to various learning styles and respect for individual differences of students in the classroom;
- Candidates must exercise effectiveness and patience in guiding classroom activities, keeping discussions on task and thinking quickly/creatively in the face of unexpected questions or comments; must demonstrate excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Candidates must be willing to provide provide, accept, and implement feedback about their or their teacher partner?s instruction or classroom management approach in order to better serve the needs of our students.
- Candidates must model and embody All Star Code?s core pillars: Dare Greatly, Celebrate Failure, and Tell Your Story; as instructors they must be coachable and model a growth mindset
Ideal Candidate Profile
- Engaging Educator: You are at your best when you are sharing knowledge with others in a way that is considerate to your audience
- Inclusive Educator: You are prepared to work with students with diverse learning styles/needs, demonstrate cultural competence, and excited to learn best practices
- Builder: You?re able to take an idea and take the necessary steps to bring that idea to fruition
- Problem Solver: You know how to troubleshoot and solve problems
- Change-maker: You are interested in and passionate about affecting the stark lack of diversity in tech
- Nimble, Empathetic Leader: You absorb information quickly, you ask questions, and you anticipate the needs of your team. You are comfortable with feedback and difficult conversations
- "Hustler": You are always looking for the next great opportunity, whether for yourself or others
- Team Player: You seek feedback, you collaborate, and you support those you oversee
- Experienced Project Manager: You excel at keeping projects organized and on schedule. You are good at delegating tasks and following up on them.
- Serve as the instructional leader for a cohort of 20 students
- Design lesson plans and submit to the Curriculum Team in time to be reviewed prior to each instructional day
- Lead delivery of All Star Code?s Technical and Core Skill Curriculum
- Manage the instructional team of one Teaching Assistant and one Teaching Fellow
(Note: Teaching Fellows are past participants from the Summer Intensive; they are known as All Star Code Scholars)
- Lead project management for your instructional team
- Learn alongside other educators and coders in a professional development instructional training experience, as well as weekly feedback and evaluation opportunities
- Serve as point of contact for various stakeholders, including parents, donors, partners, etc.
- Serve as main "chaperone" during off-site activities
- Lead early morning restorative and community-building practices three times a week
- Administer technical assessments and student weekly surveys
- Model All Star Code culture in the classroom: Dare Greatly. Celebrate Failure. Tell Your Story.
- Evaluate and track quantitative and qualitative student progress
- Lead student Orientation (at the start of the Summer Intensive) and Demo Day (at the end) in partnership with instructional team
- Participate in weekly calls with Curriculum Team and fellow instructors
Lead Instructors are expected to attended the following:
- Professional Development Week (June 22 to 26, 2020): Up to 40 hours, which includes the evening of June 25, 2020, for Student Orientation)
- Participate in Setup Day: Specific date to be communicated (week of June 29 to July 3, 2020); Up to 4 hours
- Summer Intensive Program (July 6 to August 14, 2020): Up to 35 hours per week, from 9am to 5pm daily. For Demo Day (August 13, 2020), there is an additional 4 evening hours to support this milestone event.
- Important: For instructors with school obligations, you MUST inform us of any scheduling conflicts PRIOR to being hired.
Lead Instructors will be located at a corporate host site in New York City or Jersey City, accessible via mass transit.
Our Lead Instructors (Full time, seasonal position) are offered at $38.50 per hour. Perks include: daily lunch provided, extended professional development training, site visits to top tech companies (Spotify and Uber, to name a few), off-hours social outings, access to our All Star Code community, and the opportunity to impact the next generation of diverse technology leaders!
All Star Code is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes candidates from diverse backgrounds.
Job Category: Other / Miscellaneous
Location: New York, NJ USA
Zip Code: 10004
Posted on: 12/24/2019
Viewed: 3 times