Manager, Visitor Research and Evaluation
for Exploratorium in San Francisco, CA USA
<w:sdt contentlocked="t" docpart="143D3E90DA604940BB00CD0270FCAC32" id="-936747772" sdttag="Lock Section" title="Lock Section">SUMMARY</w:sdt>
The Visitor Research & Evaluation (VRE) Department designs and implements research on learning in informal education environments and supports exhibit, program and marketing development through a combination of research and evaluation activities. VRE staff maintains a significant presence in the informal learning research community by participating in specialized panels and task forces, publishing research findings in printed and web formats, and presenting at conferences. The department is composed of 7-10 regular positions, as well as a large, flexible contingent of on-call staff.
The Manager oversees administration, supervision, professional development, finance and communication for the VRE department. The position requires a highly organized and detail-minded person with excellent planning, budgeting, and communication skills and prior experience with research and/or evaluation in educational settings. The Manager is assisted by a Project Coordinator and reports the Visitor Research and Evaluation Director.
- Create, coordinate, and monitor administrative and organizational systems within VRE.
- Work with the VRE Director to support administrative functions including facilitating communications, managing departmental laboratory and equipment, and setting agendas for department meetings.
- Assist in strategic planning for the department, modifying or developing systems to support new directions.
- With guidance from the VRE Director, oversee process for placing VRE staff on projects across the museum. Provide VRE Director with regular updates on department and project staffing
- Facilitate new hire requests and position changes.
- Supervise a staff of research and evaluation associates, coordinators and assistants.
- Identify professional development opportunities for VRE staff.
- Oversee and manage department and project budgets and forecast preparations, financial reporting, grant reports, and expense reclassifications.
- Track department and project expenses and prepare financial reports as needed both internally and externally.
- With guidance from the VRE Director, coordinate written information about the VRE program, including publications and web documents summarizing research and evaluation findings.
- Maintain the VRE department website by managing the process for posting new reports.
- Develop new ways to disseminate information about VRE work.
- Attend selected Exploratorium meetings to facilitate departmental communication with the rest of the institution.
- Respond to external inquiries for information regarding VRE and its activities, and schedule meetings with external parties as appropriate.
- Manage system for allowing external researchers to study Exploratorium visitors.
- BA/BS degree or equivalent combination of work experience and education
- Prior experience conducting research or evaluation studies, preferably in educational settings
- Three years managing or coordinating projects or activities, preferably in an informal education, non-profit, academic, or research & development environment
- Two years supervisorial experience
- Demonstrated budget and financial management experience (with budgets $250,000+)
- Exceptional organization, interpersonal and communication skills (both oral and written)
- Highly computer literate (i.e. Microsoft Word, Excel, Filemaker Pro or other database applications), comfortable with Mac & PC environments, web experience a plus
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and work with multiple agendas and goals
- Demonstrated problem solving abilities; ability to work collaboratively and independently
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to move from place to place; utilize a computer terminal and general office equipment. Lift and carry up to 25 pounds short distances.
This position is open until filled
HOW TO APPLY<w:sdtpr></w:sdtpr>
This is a regular, full-time (37.5 hours per week), exempt position that includes benefits. <w:sdt contentlocked="t" docpart="143D3E90DA604940BB00CD0270FCAC32" id="-1938436852" sdttag="Lock Section" title="Lock Section">Please, no phone calls in regards to this job. To apply, please visit the Exploratorium job page.</w:sdt>
The Exploratorium is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity, inclusion and respect. We welcome and strongly encourage applicants from all backgrounds. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment.
Powered by JazzHR
Job Category: Other / Miscellaneous
Location: San Francisco, CA USA
Zip Code: 94111
Posted on: 12/31/2019
Viewed: 0 times