Seasonal Servant Leader - Riverside Freedom School Summer Program
for The Riverside Church in New York, NY USA
The Riverside CDF Freedom Schools program is an educational and cultural enrichment program. The program has been proven to maintain and even improve reading levels. Our program provides summer options for children where there are none and strengthens parent and community involvement in the year-round achievement of children.
Candidates currently attending college and recent college graduates play a key role in the Children?s Defense Fund Freedom Schools program as servant leaders. CDF Freedom Schools servant leaders are responsible for the front-line care and nurturing of the children. Using the Integrated Reading Curriculum, they serve as facilitators in the classroom and as leaders of parent workshops and community outreach activities. The leaders are specially trained to engage children with enthusiasm, innovation, and a love of reading.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Deliver the Integrated Reading Curriculum to a class of no more than ten students for 6?8 weeks during the summer months, according to the standards developed by the Children's Defense Fund and The Riverside Church in the City of New York.
- Set up and break down their classroom space, including securing and organizing the appropriate materials.
- Engage a maximum of 10 students per class.
- Attend all required trainings.
- Collaborate with staff to establish and maintain a supportive and structured environment for the children entrusted to their care
- Serve as a Harambee! Leader each day of program operation. Serve as a leader of afternoon activities and other special events; chaperone field trips.
- Participate fully in the National Training. (1st, 2nd and 3rd year servant leader interns only).
Experience and Education Requirements:
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Experience managing large groups of children, college-age young people, and parents.
- Solid commitment to children?s advocacy and enthusiasm for the Riverside CDF Freedom Schools program
- Ability to motivate others and work as part of an intergenerational team.
- Strong appreciation and understanding of individual cultural history and the willingness to be open and respectful of all cultures.
- Willingness to strive for excellence in all areas and ability to think critically and analytically.
- Exhibit positive behavior and attitude; model a mature and professional demeanor; possess excellent written and verbal skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and commitment to the ethics of good character, humility, and servant leadership.
Powered by JazzHR
Job Category: Other / Miscellaneous
Location: New York, NY USA
Zip Code: 10027
Posted on: 12/02/2019
Viewed: 0 times